Author(s) : Rakova Snezhana , (proofread.) Lees Christopher (8/9/2008)
For citation: Rakova Snezhana, (proofread.) Lees Christopher, "Galata Tower", 2008,Encyclopaedia of the Hellenic World, ConstantinopleURL: <http://www.ehw.gr/l.aspx?id=10885>
Two edifices have been known under the name Galata Tower in Byzantine Constantinople, although it is unclear if the one was built on the site of the other or if they were two indipendent structures. The first Tower of Galata is recorded in the accounts of the siege of Constantinople by the crusaders of the Fourth Crusade from June 1203 untill the 12th of April 1204. The second was built by Genoese in 1348 and was part of a fortress around the Genoese colony of Galata. It still stands today and is a major tourist attraction.
Galata district, Beyoglu, north of the Golden Horn
Megalos Pyrgos; Christea turris; Galata kulesi
Byzantine suburb of Sykai (named also Galata and Pera), Istanbul
6th century (?); 1348
1. The byzantine tower of Galata (in greek – Megalos Pyrgos)
2. The Genoese Tower in Galata (Christea Turris - Tower of Christ; Turkish - Galata Kulesi)
copyright © 2008, FOUNDATION OF THE HELLENIC WORLD
The project is co-funded from the European Union by 80% and from the Hellenic State by 20% through the Operational Programme Information Society.